16 November 2008

Entry 11 - Gaming in Education

Alexandra Matthews' 12 April 2008 blog entry, "doof.com - integrating gaming with social networks", provides an overview of this particular social gaming site. Social gaming juxtaposes online gaming with social networking sites providing a more interactive form of gaming.

A recent Pew Internet research study shows that almost all teens (97%) play some sort of game. Only a 24% play games completely in isolation demonstrating the need for education to tie into social gaming.

So how do we tie into social gaming to benefit learners; to provide a more pervasive access to education? I think this is an area that educators everywhere need to tap into.

Yes, most of the games are ever consuming voids inhaling moments of free time, but isn't that want we all want, even in the most minuscule way: a moment away from reality and all of the aspects of life we cannot control; a moment to breath.

1 comment:

gdbear said...

I love games. However, I do not think that I have the same emotional reaction when someone wants to play an educational game with me. Although I did walk through the Lemonade Stand the other day. I can't remember who posted the link to it on the class discussion board.

Gary DeRoest